MARIANNE FAITHFULL Sits In - PATRICK WOLF


Marianne Faithfull sits in, playing her favourite music. She considers how important music is to her and explores some key genres: intense soul (Marianne wonders: could Aretha Franklin be the voice of God?), cerebral jazz and energising punk. Her guest is Patrick Wolf. Both started in the music industry at 17 and they compare how they coped. Patrick suggests that having felt sad, lonely and trapped has made him a healthier songwriter. They reminisce about working with Angelo Badalamenti and Patrick explains the deep spiritual connection he feels with Joni Mitchell's music. Lastly, Marianne shares her memories of Jimi Hendrix and The Clash.

Little Richard - Long Tall Sally
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Metronomy - The Look
Julian Cope - Sunspots
Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools
John Coltrane - My Favourite Things
The Saints - I'm Stranded
Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You Too Long
Nick Cave - The Weeping Song
Patrick Wolf - The City
Angelo Badalamenti and Julee Cruise - Falling (Twin Peaks OST)
Joni Mitchell - Amelia
Gorillaz - Melancholy Hill
CAN - Vitamin C
Lotte Lenya - Alabama Song
Jean-Claude Brialy - Boomerang
Gotan Project - Rayuela
Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind
Rufus Wainwright - I'm Going to a Town
Anna Calvi - Desire
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
Eddie Cochran - Somethin' Else