JOHN COOPER CLARKE Sits In (4)


John Cooper Clarke sits in again. He notes that Little Richard was 80 last week; observes that today in 1875, America's oldest active gun club was founded; and proposes a musical 'Battle of the Dons'. His boiler has broken down, so he picks some tracks with a chilly resonance. Plus: today is International Anti-Corruption Day; this year is the 45th anniversary of The Velvet Underground's debut album; and On This Day in 1960, soap opera Coronation Street premiered. And speaking of northern things, John recalls hanging out at The Twisted Wheel, the birthplace of Northern Soul. John also highlights this week's featured album, Nuggets, a groundbreaking compilation of 1960s garage rock.

The Young Rascals - Groovin' 
Little Richard - The Girl Can't Help It 
Pete Wingfield - 18 with a Bullet 
The Standells - Dirty Water 
Scott Walker - Winter Night 
The Everly Brothers - I Wonder If I Care As Much 
Don Lang and His Frantic Five - Witchdoctor 
Don Gibson - Sea of Heartbreak
Dion and The Belmonts - I Wonder Why (Live) 
Hank Levine and Orchestra - Image 
The Seeds - Pushin' Too Hard 
Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times 
Jack White - I'm Shakin' 
Joe 'King' Carrasco - Betty's World 
The Human Beinz - Nobody But Me 
Dusty Springfield - The Corrupt Ones 
Billy Lee Riley - Red Hot 
Johnny Thunders - Pirate Love 
Eddie Cochran - Somethin' Else 
Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love 
The Louvin Brothers - Satan's Jewelled Crown 
Elvis Presley - Return to Sender 
The Velvet Underground - New Age 
Link Wray - Honest Hon, I Swear Somebody Lied 
Ian Whitcomb - You Turn Me On 
Paul Revere and The Raiders - I'm Not Your Stepping Stone 
Ramones - Don't Come Close 
David Bowie - Boys Keep Singing 
The Amboy Dukes - Baby, Please Don't Go 
Johnny O'Keefe - The Wild One 
Billy Stewart - Sitting in the Park 
Frankie Vaughan - Stockport 
Jamo Thomas - I Spy for the FBI 
The Mindbenders - It Was Easier to Hurt Her 
Chuck Berry - Run, Run Rudolph