An insight into Sheffield's musical heritage: Joe Cocker vs Kid Acne, Alex Turner, The Human League (we hear how Phil Oakey was enlisted), Cabaret Voltaire (we hear how they chose their name), Disease, I'm So Hollow, Venacava, Artery, Vice Versa — alias ABC — Alan Smythe and Richard Hawley. Today in 1472, Orkney and Shetland became Scottish. Jarvis plays the Pisces Zodiac Track and announces the Aquarius survey results. A listener explains how Kraftwerk acquired the BeeGees rhythm machine. Jarvis reads from the Futurist manifesto, published On This Day. Plus, beat poetry from Ken Nordine. Birthdays: Robert Altman, Pierre Boulle, Gloria Vanderbilt, Jimmy Greaves, Peter Osgood, Patty Hearst, Cindy Crawford, Tony Wilson (remembering the Hacienda and Joy Division), Ian Brown (on gardening and solo recording), Gordon Brown, Sidney Poitier (on spirituality), Mike Leigh (on his working methods), Poison Ivy of The Cramps and Kurt Cobain.
Arctic Monkeys — The Bakery
Thomas Truax — February What Ya Doin' to Me
Keith Carradine — I'm Easy
Nick Lowe — So It Goes
The Durutti Column — Opera I
Ian Brown — My Star
The Human League — Being Boiled
Disease — Pscychobin
I'm So Hollow — Touch ('Bouquet of Steel' Version)
Vena Cava — Staccato Soldiers
Artery — A Song for Lena
Vice Versa — Genetic Warfare
It's Immaterial — Driving Away from Home
Lulu — To Sir with Love
Nina Simone — Sinnerman
Demis Roussos — I Dig You
The Cramps — Goo Goo Muck
Richard Hawley — Vickers Road
Ken Nordine — Faces in the Jazzmatazz
Nirvana — The Man Who Sold the World
