Newspaper Article

GUARDIAN: Jarvis Cocker on radio: this isn't hardcore

A lovely article about the show.

Sunday afternoon brings a particularly intimate and informal audience. Many listeners text or tweet to say they are busy making their Sunday dinner, and on a rainy day like today, they email in droves. "That's another part of the concept, I suppose, that it's pretty laid-back," says Cocker. "When I was more of a drinker, I always found that hangovers got to their worst around 4pm. You're over the physical thing, and it goes into a psychological thing by then. So I thought it would be good to do a show that helps you through that difficult time — without being bland, but being quite soothing." He smiles, a slight pursing of the lips. "To me, it's what Sundays used to be like. At one time we used to say we were bringing the boredom back to Sunday, and that might be overstating it, but it's that kind of thing. That the week's kind of finished, but the new week hasn't begun, so you've got this weird kind of floaty time where you can be a bit more reflective. It's not a massive concept," he adds, with typical self-effacement.